Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table (autoanalyze) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table (autoanalyze)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Aug-09, Andres Freund wrote:

> I don't agree. There's a difference between this happening after a manual
> ANALYZE on partition roots, and this continuously happening in production
> workloads due to auto-analyzes...

Hmm.  That's not completely untrue.

I bring a radical proposal that may be sufficient to close this
particular hole.  What if we made partition only affected their
top-level parents to become auto-analyzed, and not any intermediate
ancestors?  Any intermediate partitioned partitions could be analyzed
manually if the user wished, and perhaps some reloption could enable
autovacuum to do it (with the caveat that it'd cause multiple sampling
of partitions).  I don't yet have a clear picture on how to implement
this, but I'll explore it while waiting for opinions on the idea.

--
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Nadie está tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siéndolo" (Goethe)