Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 02:28:55PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:00:12AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > I'm warming up to "should" but maybe add a "why" such as "the old versions are
> > considered unsupported on the newer server".
> >
> > I dislike "usually via operating system commands", just offload this to the
> > extension, i.e., "must be installed in the new cluster via installation
> > procedures specific to, and documented by, each extension (for contrib it is
> > usually enough to ensure the -contrib package was chosen to be installed along
> > with the -server package for your operating system.)"
> >
> > I would simplify the first two sentences to just:
> >
> > If the old cluster used extensions those same extensions must be installed in
> > the new cluster via installation procedures specific to, and documented by,
> > each extension.  For contrib extensions it is usually enough to install the
> > -contrib package via the same method you used to install the PostgreSQL server.

Oh, and you can't use the same installation procedures as when you
installed the extension because that probably included CREATE EXTENSION.
This really highlights why this is tricky to explain --- we need the
binaries, but not the SQL that goes with it.