Re: log_checkpoint's "WAL file(s) added" is misleading to the point of uselessness - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: log_checkpoint's "WAL file(s) added" is misleading to the point of uselessness
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-07-25 12:10:07 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> It's also worth showing them in monitoring stats view like pg_stat_wal?

I'm not convinced that's all that meaningful. It makes sense to include
it as part of the checkpoint output, because checkpoints determine when
WAL can be recycled etc. It's not that clear to me how to represent that
as part of pg_stat_wal?

I guess we could add columns for the amount of WAL has been a) newly
created b) recycled c) removed. In combination that *does* seem
useful. But also a mostly independent change...

Greetings,

Andres Freund