Re: Skip temporary table schema name from explain-verbose output. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Skip temporary table schema name from explain-verbose output.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jul-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro, you seem to be responsible for both the existence of the separate
> get_namespace_name_or_temp function and the fact that it's being avoided
> here.  I wonder what you think about this.

The reason I didn't touch get_namespace_name then (e9a077cad379) was
that I didn't want to change the user-visible behavior for any existing
features; I was just after a way to implement dropped-object DDL trigger
tracking.  If we agree that displaying pg_temp instead of pg_temp_XXX
everywhere is an improvement, then I don't see a reason not to change
how get_namespace_name works and get rid of get_namespace_name_or_temp.

I don't see much usefulness in displaying the exact name of the temp
namespace anywhere, particularly since using "pg_temp" as a
qualification in queries already refers to the current backend's temp
namespace.  Trying to refer to it by exact name in SQL may lead to
affecting some other backend's temp objects ...

--
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/