Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jul-25, Tom Lane wrote:

> Perhaps there's no actual bug there, but it's still horrible coding.
> For one thing, the implication that found could be negative is extremely
> confusing to readers.  A boolean might be better.  However, I wonder why
> you bothered with a flag in the first place.  The usual convention if
> we know there can be only one match is to just not write a loop at all,
> with a suitable comment, like this pre-existing example elsewhere in
> trigger.c:
>
>         /* There should be at most one matching tuple */
>         if (HeapTupleIsValid(tuple = systable_getnext(tgscan)))
>
> If you're not quite convinced there can be only one match, then it
> still shouldn't be an Assert --- a real test-and-elog would be better.

I agree that coding there was dubious.  I've removed the flag and assert.

Arne complained that there should be a unique constraint on (tgrelid,
tgparentid) which would sidestep the need for this to be a loop.  I
don't think it's really necessary, and I'm not sure how to create a
system index WHERE tgparentid <> 0.

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la