Re: Remove repeated calls to PQserverVersion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Remove repeated calls to PQserverVersion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jul-14, Peter Smith wrote:

> But I never made any claims about performance; my motivation for this
> trivial patch was more like just "code tidy" or "refactor", so
> applying performance as the only worthiness criteria for a "code tidy"
> patch seemed like a misrepresentation here.
>
> Of course you can judge the patch is still not worthwhile for other
> reasons. So be it.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the function call in those places,
because when reading just that line one immediately knows where the
value is coming from.  If you assign it to a variable, the line is not
standalone and I have to find out where the assignment is, and verify
that there hasn't been any other assignment in between.

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Pido que me den el Nobel por razones humanitarias" (Nicanor Parra)