Re: "debug_invalidate_system_caches_always" is too long - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: "debug_invalidate_system_caches_always" is too long
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:12:34 -0700, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote in
> > However, I think we should also give serious consideration to
> > "debug_clobber_cache" or "debug_clobber_cache_always" for continuity
> > with past practice (though it still feels like "always" is a good
> > word to lose now).  "debug_clobber_caches" is another reasonable
> > variant.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clobbering refers to cases where storage had no
> changes to its accessibility but now contains different data.  That doesn't
> match InvalidateSystemCaches() especially well, so I think dropping that word
> has been a good step.  Some other shorter terms could be debug_flush_caches,
> debug_rebuild_caches, or debug_expire_caches.  (debug_caches is tempting, but

(I murmur that I think "drop" is also usable here.)

> that may ensnare folks looking for extra logging rather than a big slowdown.)

I agree to this.  (And one more +1 to removing "always".)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center