Re: slow performance with cursor - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: slow performance with cursor
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 07:09:31PM +0300, Ayub Khan wrote:
> I am using postgresql 12 and using cursors in a stored procedure,
> executing procedure which has cursor is slowing down the call. However if I
> do not use the cursor and just execute the queries using JDBC (Java client)
> it's fast.

Is the query slower, or is it slow to transfer tuples ?
I expect there would be a very high overhead if you read a large number of
tuples one at a time.

> Is there any setting which needs to be modified to improve the performance
> of cursors. Also facing slow response with reading blobs (images) from db.
> Not an ideal way for storing images in db but this is a legacy application
> and wanted to check if there a quick tweak which can improve the
> performance while reading blob data from db.

Is the slowness between the client-server or on the server side ?
Provide some details ?

--
Justin