Re: PostgreSQL 14 Beta 1 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 14 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 10:15:56AM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> This release has significant improvements in transaction throughput in
> PostgreSQL systems that have large numbers of connections to the database,
> regardless if they are active or idle.

regardless of whether
(I think)

> indexes. [GiST indexes](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/indexes-types.html#INDEXES-TYPE-GIST)
> can now use pre-sorted data during their build process, allowing both for faster
> index creation and smaller indexes.

Instead of "use pre-sorted" I think it should say "can now pre-sort.."

> [SP-GiST indexes](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/indexes-types.html#INDEXES-TYPE-SPGIST)
> now support [covering indexes](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/indexes-index-only-scans.html)
> that allow users to add additional, nonsearchable columns to the index through
> the `INCLUDE` clause.

*in the index

statistics](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/planner-stats.html),
> which can now be used on [expressions](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/view-pg-stats-ext-exprs.html).

can be *created on expressions

> PostgreSQL has supported compression on its "oversized data" columns (i.e. the
> [TOAST](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/storage-toast.html) system) for
> decades, but this release adds the ability to now choose to use
> [LZ4 compression](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-createtable.html) on
> tables.

say "on TOAST tables", otherwise it sounds like what's new is "tables"
rather than "LZ4".

> PostgreSQL 14 includes numerous improvements on what information can be
> monitored, including the ability to track progress on `COPY` using the
> [`pg_stat_progress_copy`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/progress-reporting.html#COPY-PROGRESS-REPORTING)
> view. This release lets WAL activity be tracked from the
[`pg_stat_wal`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-PG-STAT-WAL-VIEW)

"allows WAL activity to be tracked"

> The [`REINDEX`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-reindex.html) command in

in *PostgreSQL 14

SUBSCRIPTION`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-altersubscription.html)
> makes it easier to add/remove publications using the new `ADD/DROP PUBLICATION`]
> syntax.

missing "command"

> PostgreSQL 14 now adds a general subscripting framework for retrieving

remove "now"

As usual, Erik already reported half of my typos ;)

--
Justin