Re: Unsupported version mentioned at Using EXPLAIN - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Unsupported version mentioned at Using EXPLAIN
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2021-May-07, tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> When referring Doc, found one place mentioned "using 9.3 development sources." at [1]. Which I think 9.3 means PG9.3
>
> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/using-explain.html
>
> It seems to show up since PG9.2 and changed to 9.3 at PG9.3. However, since 9.3 nobody updates the version anymore.
> Maybe we can just remove the specific PG version. Say "using current development sources." Thoughts?

I think there's more to this than just changing or removing the version
number; a better approach might be to update the documentation so that
it matches what current versions do.  There are minor changes here and
there and it'd be sad to let it all drift too much from current reality.
The estimated cost for the very first EXPLAIN is different in current
sources from what the docs say, for example; there's also one example
that the docs show to produce an incremental sort, but didn't in my
hands; and there's one additional line in the first EXPLAIN ANALYZE
output (BitmapHeapScans now show number of heap blocks processed).  I
didn't try to run everything but I suggest we need a little bit of effort.

If we just removed the version number, we'd falsify the examples.  I
think we should update both in unison.  Make it say "Using 14
development sources ..." and make sure to use the output from the
current version, then recheck again in a few years.  It is good to keep
these updated as new plan types are added so that everything is covered.

--
Álvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile