Re: ALTER TABLE .. DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE .. DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Apr-26, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Please allow me to study the patch a bit more closely and get back tomorrow.
>
> Sure, thanks!

Here's a more polished version.

After trying the version with the elog(ERROR) when two detached
partitions are present, I decided against it; it is unhelpful because
it doesn't let you build partition descriptors for anything.  So I made
it an elog(WARNING) (not an ereport, note), and keep the most recent
pg_inherits.xmin value.  This is not great, but it lets you out of the
situation by finalizing one of the detaches.

The other check (at ALTER TABLE .. DETACH time) is an ereport(ERROR) and
should make the first one unreachable.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W

Attachment