Re: enable_seqscan to off -> initial cost 10000000000 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: enable_seqscan to off -> initial cost 10000000000
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Luca Ferrari (fluca1978@gmail.com) wrote:
> this could be trivial, but I would like an explaination: if I turn off
> sequential scans on a table without indexes, the same access plan is
> increased by a 10000000000 factor. I suspect this is a warning for me
> to remind that something is misconfigured, or is there anothe reason?

No- that's what setting it to "off" means, in actuality we just make it
really expensive to encourage the planner to try and find another plan.
That's not always possible to do though, hence the resulting plan with a
really high cost.

The enable_* options are really just for poking around and not something
you'd want to set.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment