Re: ML-based indexing ("The Case for Learned Index Structures", a paper from Google) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ML-based indexing ("The Case for Learned Index Structures", a paper from Google)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:52:19AM +0200, Stefan Keller wrote:
> Di., 20. Apr. 2021 23:50 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > There's enough support these days that you can build a new index
> > type as an extension, without touching the core code at all.
>
> Thanks. I'm ramping up knowledge about extending PG with C++.
>
> I'm still interested to understand in principle what an index has to
> do with concurrency control, in order to divide
> concerns/reponsibilities of code.

The issue is that some index structures, like bitmap indexes, have very
poor concurrent performance.  This means that some indexes perform very
well for a single user but poorly for multiple users.