Re: pg_amcheck option to install extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_amcheck option to install extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Apr-20, Michael Paquier wrote:

> Agreed.  Something like src/extensions/ would be a tempting option,
> but I don't think that it is a good idea to introduce a new piece of
> infrastructure at this stage, so moving both to contrib/ would be the
> best balance with the current pieces at hand.

Actually I think the best balance would be to leave things where they
are, and move amcheck to src/extensions/ once the next devel cycle
opens.  That way, we avoid the (pretty much pointless) laborious task of
moving pg_amcheck to contrib only to move it back on the next cycle.

What I'm afraid of, if we move pg_amcheck to contrib, is that during the
next cycle people will say that they are both perfectly fine in contrib/
and so we don't need to move anything anywhere.  And next time someone
wants to create a new extension that would be perfectly fine in core,
they will not want to have that one be the one that creates
src/extensions/, because then that in itself is a contentious point that
can get the whole patch rejected.

In a sense, what I'm doing is support the idea that "incremental
development" applies to procedure too.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W