Re: pgsql: Move tablespace path re-creation from the makefiles to pg_regres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: pgsql: Move tablespace path re-creation from the makefiles to pg_regres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 03:00:31PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have compiled a simple patch that uses a SQL function for the base
> tablespace directory creation, that I have tested on Linux and MSVC.

> I am still not sure if people would prefer this approach over what's
> on HEAD.  So if there are any opinions, please feel free.

"pg_regress --outputdir" is not a great location for a file or directory
created by a user other than the user running pg_regress.  If one does "make
check" and then "make installcheck" against a cluster running as a different
user, the rmtree() will fail, assuming typical umask values.  An rmtree() at
the end of the tablespace test would mostly prevent that, but that can't help
in the event of a mid-test crash.

I'm not sure we should support installcheck against a server running as a
different user.  If we should support it, then I'd probably look at letting
the caller pass in a server-writable directory.  That directory would house
the tablespace instead of outputdir doing so.