Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial - arch-dev.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial - arch-dev.sgml
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Apr-04, Jürgen Purtz wrote:

> The small patch 'arch-dev.sgml.20210121.diff' contains only some clearing up
> concerning the used terminology and its alignments with the glossary. The
> patch was rejected by Heikki.

This comment is not helpful, because it's not obvious where would I find
that patch.  Also, you say "the patch was rejected by Heikki" but
upthread he said he committed it.  His comment was that he left out some
paragraphs because of a style issue.  Did you re-post that patch after
fixing the style issues?  If you did, I couldn't find it.

> The latest version of the huge patch '0013-architecture.patch' is valid and
> doesn't contain merge conflicts.

Yeah, OK, but I have to dive deep in the thread to find it.  Please post
it again.  When you have a patch series, please post it as a whole every
time -- that makes it easier for a committer to review it.

You seem to be making your life hard by not using git to assist you.  Do
you know you can have several commits in a branch of your own, rebase it
to latest master, merge master to it, rebase on top of master, commit
fixups, "rebase -i" and change commit ordering to remove unnecessary
fixup commits, and so on?  Such techniques are extremely helpful when
dealing with a patch series.  When you want to post a new version to the
list, you can just do "git format-patch -v14 origin/master" to produce a
set of patch files.  You don't need to manually give names to your patch
files, or come up with a versioning scheme.  Just increment the argument
to -v by +1 each time you (or somebody else) posts a new version of the
patch series.

--
Álvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile