Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies
Date
Re: New IndexAM API controlling index vacuum strategies  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-03-15 12:58:33 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 12:21 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > It's evil sorcery. Fragile sorcery. I think Robert, Tom and me all run
> > afoul of edge cases around it in the last few years.
>
> Right, which is why I thought that I might be missing something; why
> put up with that at all for so long?
>
> > > But removing the awful "tupgone = true" special case seems to buy us a
> > > lot -- it makes unifying everything relatively straightforward. In
> > > particular, it makes it possible to delay the decision to vacuum
> > > indexes until the last moment, which seems essential to making index
> > > vacuuming optional.
> >
> > You haven't really justified, in the patch or this email, why it's OK to
> > remove the whole logic around HEAPTUPLE_DEAD part of the logic.
>
> I don't follow.
>
> > VACUUM can take a long time, and not removing space for all the
> > transactions that aborted while it wa
>
> I guess that you trailed off here. My understanding is that removing
> the special case results in practically no loss of dead tuples removed
> in practice -- so there are no practical performance considerations
> here.
>
> Have I missed something?

Forget what I said above - I had intended to remove it after dislogding
something stuck in my brain... But apparently didn't :(. Sorry.

> > I'm not comfortable with this change without adding more safety
> > checks. If there's ever a case in which the HEAPTUPLE_DEAD case is hit
> > and the xid needs to be frozen, we'll either cause errors or
> > corruption. Yes, that's already the case with params->index_cleanup ==
> > DISABLED, but that's not that widely used.
>
> I noticed that Noah's similar 2013 patch [1] added a defensive
> heap_tuple_needs_freeze() + elog(ERROR) to the HEAPTUPLE_DEAD case. I
> suppose that that's roughly what you have in mind here?

I'm not sure that's sufficient. If the case is legitimately reachable
(I'm maybe 60% is not, after staring at it for a long time, but ...),
then we can't just error out when we didn't so far.

I kinda wonder whether this case should just be handled by just gotoing
back to the start of the blkno loop, and redoing the pruning. The only
thing that makes that a bit more complicatd is that we've already
incremented vacrelstats->{scanned_pages,vacrelstats->tupcount_pages}.

We really should put the per-page work (i.e. the blkno loop body) of
lazy_scan_heap() into a separate function, same with the
too-many-dead-tuples branch.

> Comments above heap_prepare_freeze_tuple() say something about making
> sure that HTSV did not return HEAPTUPLE_DEAD...but that's already
> possible today:
>
>  * It is assumed that the caller has checked the tuple with
>  * HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum() and determined that it is not HEAPTUPLE_DEAD
>  * (else we should be removing the tuple, not freezing it).
>
> Does that need work too?

I'm pretty scared of the index-cleanup-disabled path, for that reason. I
think the hot path is more likely to be unproblematic, but I'd not bet
my (nonexistant) farm on it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund