Re: about client-side cursors - Mailing list psycopg

From Denis Laxalde
Subject Re: about client-side cursors
Date
List psycopg
Christophe Pettus a écrit :
> But it's not just CURSORs that have this behavior.  libpq allows the
> client to the send the query, and then make separate requests for each
> row, even without a database cursor; this maps almost exactly to
> .execute() and .fetchone().

Is this related to prepared statements in the extended query protocol?
(Then, I'd argue that both preparation and execution steps would involve
IO. But if it's not a cursor, we should use a different name, as
postgresql doc does.)

> It doesn't seem a good idea to guarantee
> forever that .execute() will *never* do I/O without a database-side
> cursor.

Currently, it seems to me that .execute() always do IO with or without a
database cursor.