Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other
Date
Re: [DOC] Document concurrent index builds waiting on each other  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jan-13, James Coleman wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:33 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> > This is true.  So I propose
> >
> >     Like any long-running transaction, <command>REINDEX</command> can
> >     affect which tuples can be removed by concurrent <command>VACUUM</command>
> >     on any table.
>
> That sounds good to me.

Great, pushed with one more wording tweak: "REINDEX on any table can
affect ... on any other table".  To pg12 and up.

I wondered about noting whether only processes in the current database
are affected, but then I noticed that the current code since commit
dc7420c2c927 uses a completely different algorithm than what we had with
GetOldestXmin() and does not consider database boundaries at all.
This doesn't sound great to me, since a misbehaved database can now
affect others ...  Maybe I misunderstand that code.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"This is what I like so much about PostgreSQL.  Most of the surprises