Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I happened to get tired by waiting for active perl building repeatedly..

At Tue, 5 Jan 2021 16:58:36 +1300, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote in
> Hi,
>
> My new favourite CI is Cirrus CI, because it has 4 operating systems,
> generous enough quotas to handle 250+ branches in a single account,
> and public build/test log URLs.  I flipped cfbot.cputube.org (mostly)
> over to that and it seems to work well so far -- fingers crossed.
> I've also been using it for my own development branches that involve
> some systems hacking-heavy work that uses different kernel interfaces
> on all 4 of those OSes.
>
> There's one thing I'm stuck on, though: Windows.  If anyone wants to
> help figure out how to get PostgreSQL to build on Cirrus's Windows,
> I'd be very interested.  To play with this stuff, you need a public
> Github repo, and you need to add Cirrus CI from "Marketplace" (it's
> free for public/open source), and then you add a .cirrus.yml file such
> as https://github.com/macdice/cfbot/blob/master/cirrus/.cirrus.yml to
> the top level of a PostgreSQL branch.  When you push, you should see
> build results on the Github web UI.

Is this?

> activeperl package files install completed. Performing other
> installation steps.
> ERROR: The response content cannot be parsed because the Internet
>   Explorer engine is not available, or Internet Explorer's
>   first-launch configuration is not complete. Specify the
>   UseBasicParsing parameter and try again.
> The install of activeperl was NOT successful.
> Error while running
> 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\ActivePerl\tools\ChocolateyInstall.ps1'.
>   See log for details.

Here is the discussion on the issue.

https://github.com/MathewSachin/Captura/issues/93

> MathewSachin commented on 16 Sep 2017
> Seems to be fixed in v5.0.1.

By the way choco command on the environment says its version is:

> Chocolatey v0.10.15

It's just too old? Or I found that many articles which says that the
behavior is avoidable by setting a registory entry, but it didn't work
for me. I tried several registry paths but all of them didn't work.

reg.exe add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /v DisableFirstRunCustomize /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

> For a similar example that works on Windows on another CI, see
> https://github.com/macdice/cfbot/blob/master/appveyor/appveyor.yml
> (note that it also references a couple of other files; it'd be nice to
> be able to do that stuff without the need for separate files, possibly
> by using Power Shell).  That's what cfbot is using for Windows for
> now, which works really well, but it'd be nice to have more
> options/choices.  For another example of Windows builds working on
> another CI, see the Github Actions patch I posted earlier when I was
> considering that for cfbot[1].  I think what's different is that those
> other CIs have images with MSVC on them, but Cirrus wants you to
> figure out how to install the right toolchain yourself (and then, as a
> next step after it's actually working, it also provides a way to
> define what you want in a way that captures the resulting image using
> Docker voodoo, so that you get fast startup times).  Or something.
>
> [1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKG%2By_SHVQcU3CPokmJxuHp1niebCjq4XzZizf8SR9ZdQRQ%40mail.gmail.com

regards.

--