Re: Application written in pure pgsql, good idea? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan de Visser
Subject Re: Application written in pure pgsql, good idea?
Date
List pgsql-general
On February 28, 2015 03:39:06 PM inspector morse wrote:
> Is it a good idea to write a simple application (consisting of just data
> entry interfaces) in pure pgsql?
>
> Basically, we would have each page has a stored function in postgresql that
> is called by php+apache (the http get/post values would be passed into
> postgrel as an array).
>
> The pgpsql would render HTML and return back to the front end for display.
>
> Sample:
> create function render_user_login_page(out v_html varchar)
> returns varchar
> as
> $$
> begin
> end;
> $$
>

> Would there be any performance issues with doing this?

Don't know about the performance aspects, but just thinking about it you're
making your db server responsible for a lot of cruft that can easily be
outsourced - the HTML rendering. Which, besides being a potential performance
pitfall, will probably end up being a terrible maintenance nightmare.

What's the problem with letting PHP do what it's good at, i.e. rendering
templatized HTML, and let the DB do what it's good at - data processing? The
idea of sending stuff over straight to the DB sounds sane, but instead of doing
that terrible string concat stuff you're thinking of just send back some
structured data which you then render in PHP?