Re: error_severity of brin work item - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: error_severity of brin work item
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 08:47:32PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> The more I look at this, the less I like it.  This would set a precedent
> that any action that can be initiated from an autovac work-item has a
> requirement of silently being discarded when it referenced a
> non-existant relation.

My original request was to change to INFO, which is what vacuum proper does at
vacuum_open_relation().  I realize that still means that new work item handlers
would have to do the LockOid, try_open dance - maybe it could be factored out.

I noticed this on multiple servers immediate after changing a nagios script to
look for all ERRORs (rather than a specific list of log_messages) and for a
longer time period.

> I'd rather have the code that drops the index go through the list of
> work-items and delete those that reference that relation.
>
> I'm not sure if this is something that ought to be done in index_drop();
> One objection might be that if the drop is rolled back, the work-items
> are lost.

Should it be done in an AtCommit hook or something like that ?

--
Justin