Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 10:33:09AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I guess one option could be to just remove it, unconditionally. And
> > assume that any users who is running it manually read that in docs
> > somewhere that tells them what to do next, and that any user who's
> > running it under a wrapper will have the wrapper set it up?
>
> I could get behind that, personally.  (1) I think most end-users don't
> run initdb by hand anymore.  (2) The message is barely useful; what
> it mostly does is to distract your attention from the slightly
> more useful info printed ahead of it.

I think the question is not how many people who run initdb in any form
need the instructions to start Postgres, but how many who are actually
seeing the initdb output need those instructions.  If someone isn't
seeing the initdb output, it doesn't matter what we output.