Re: public schema default ACL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: public schema default ACL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 02:56:53PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Nov  2, 2020 at 11:05:15PM -0800, Noah Misch wrote:
> > My plan is for the default to become:
> >
> >   GRANT USAGE ON SCHEMA public TO PUBLIC;
> >   ALTER SCHEMA public OWNER TO DATABASE_OWNER;  -- new syntax
>
> Seems it would be better to create a predefined role that owns the
> public schema, or at least has create permission for the public schema
> --- that way, when you are creating a role, you can decide if the role
> should have creation permissions in the public schema, rather than
> having people always using the database owner for this purpose.

Defaulting to a specific predefined role empowers the role's members in all
databases simultaneously.  Folks who want it like that can create a role and
issue "ALTER SCHEMA public OWNER TO that_role" in template1.  What's the
better default?  I think that depends on whether you regard this schema as a
per-database phenomenon or a per-cluster phenomenon.