Re: What does "[backends] should seldom or never need to wait for a write to occur" mean? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: What does "[backends] should seldom or never need to wait for a write to occur" mean?
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 05:25:30PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks, I absolutely agree that this documentation needs to explain properly
> how the bgwriter works. Your latest patch looks good, it significantly improves
> this section of the manual. I would just suggest changing "non-dirty" to
> "clean" in "When the number of non-dirty shared buffers appears to be
> insufficient", as this makes the language simpler and avoids introducing
> another new term (non-dirty, which means the same as clean).

OK, done.  I wasn't sure 'clean' would be assumed to be non-dirty, but you
are right the language is clearer with 'clean'.  (I was afraid 'clean'
would be assumed to be 'empty'.)

Attachment