Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Fri, 6 Nov 2020 10:42:15 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote in
> On 06/11/2020 10:24, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > Thank you for the comment!
> > First off, I thought that I managed to eliminate the degradation
> > observed on the previous versions, but significant degradation (1.1%
> > slower) is still seen in on case.
>
> One thing to keep in mind with micro-benchmarks like this is that even
> completely unrelated code changes can change the layout of the code in
> memory, which in turn can affect CPU caching affects in surprising
> ways. If you're lucky, you can see 1-5% differences just by adding a
> function that's never called, for example, if it happens to move other
> code in memory so that a some hot codepath or struct gets split across
> CPU cache lines. It can be infuriating when benchmarking.

True.  I sometimes had to make distclean to stabilize such benchmarks..

> > At Thu, 5 Nov 2020 11:09:09 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas
> > <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote in
> > (A) original test patch
> > I naively thought that the code path is too short to bury the
> > degradation of additional a few instructions.  Actually I measured
> > performance again with the same patch set on the current master and
> > had the more or less the same result.
> > master 8195.58ms, patched 8817.40 ms: +10.75%
> > However, I noticed that the additional call was a recursive call and a
> > jmp inserted for the recursive call seems taking significant
> > time. After avoiding the recursive call, the difference reduced to
> > +0.96% (master 8268.71ms : patched 8348.30ms)
> > Just two instructions below are inserted in this case, which looks
> > reasonable.
> >    8720ff <+31>: cmpl $0xffffffff,0x4ba942(%rip) # 0xd2ca48
> >    <catalog_cache_prune_min_age>
> >    872106 <+38>: jl 0x872240 <SearchCatCache1+352> (call to a function)
>
> That's interesting. I think a 1% degradation would be acceptable.
>
> I think we'd like to enable this feature by default though, so the
> performance when it's enabled is also very important.
>
> > (C) inserting bare counter-update code without a branch
> >
> >> Do we actually need a branch there? If I understand correctly, the
> >> point is to bump up a usage counter on the catcache entry. You could
> >> increment the counter unconditionally, even if the feature is not
> >> used, and avoid the branch that way.
> > That change causes 4.9% degradation, which is worse than having a
> > branch.
> > master 8364.54ms, patched 8666.86ms (+4.9%)
> > The additional instructions follow.
> > + 8721ab <+203>:    mov    0x30(%rbx),%eax  # %eax = ct->naccess
> > + 8721ae <+206>:    mov    $0x2,%edx
> > + 8721b3 <+211>:    add    $0x1,%eax        # %eax++
> > + 8721b6 <+214>: cmove %edx,%eax # if %eax == 0 then %eax = 2
> > <original code>
> > + 8721bf <+223>:    mov    %eax,0x30(%rbx)  # ct->naccess = %eax
> > + 8721c2 <+226>: mov 0x4cfe9f(%rip),%rax # 0xd42068 <catcacheclock>
> > + 8721c9 <+233>:    mov    %rax,0x38(%rbx)  # ct->lastaccess = %rax
>
> Do you need the "ntaccess == 2" test? You could always increment the
> counter, and in the code that uses ntaccess to decide what to evict,
> treat all values >= 2 the same.
>
> Need to handle integer overflow somehow. Or maybe not: integer
> overflow is so infrequent that even if a hot syscache entry gets
> evicted prematurely because its ntaccess count wrapped around to 0, it
> will happen so rarely that it won't make any difference in practice.

Agreed. Ok, I have prioritized completely avoiding degradation on the
normal path, but laxing that restriction to 1% or so makes the code
far simpler and make the expiration path signifinicantly faster.

Now the branch for counter-increment is removed.  For similar
branches for counter-decrement side in CatCacheCleanupOldEntries(),
Min() is compiled into cmovbe and a branch was removed.