Re: Rethinking LOCK TABLE's behavior on views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Rethinking LOCK TABLE's behavior on views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 07, 2020 at 11:57:20AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> The problems discussed in bug #16703 [1] show that pg_dump needs a
> version of LOCK TABLE that behaves differently for views than
> what we have now.  Since v11, LOCK TABLE on a view recurses to all
> tables and views named in the view, and it does so using the view
> owner's permissions, meaning that a view that would have permissions
> failures if executed will also have permissions failures when locked.
> That's probably fine for ordinary usage, but it's disastrous for
> pg_dump --- even a superuser can't lock such a view.
>
> Moreover, pg_dump doesn't really need the recursive behavior.  It just
> needs the view's definition to hold still; and in any case, a typical
> pg_dump run would have independently acquired locks on all the other
> relations anyway.  The recursion is buying us nothing, except perhaps
> an increased risk of deadlocks against concurrent DDL operations.

The getTables() locking aims to take the locks that will be taken later.  That
avoids failing after expensive work.  For views, the later lock-taker is
pg_get_viewdef(), which locks more than just the view but less than[2] LOCK
TABLE.  Recursion buys us more than nothing for "pg_dump --table=viewname", so
abandoning recursion unconditionally is a step in the wrong direction.  I
don't expect --table to be as excellent as complete dumps, but a change that
makes it worse does lose points.  I want to keep the recursion.

> (I'm not quite sure if that's significant, given that pg_dump pays
> no attention to the order in which it locks things.  But it sure as
> heck isn't *decreasing* the risk; and it's a behavior that we could
> not hope to improve with more smarts about pg_dump's lock ordering.)

Reordering to avoid deadlocks would be best-effort, so it's fine not to have
full control over the order.

> Closely related to this is whether pg_dump ought to be using ONLY for
> locking regular tables too.  I tend to think that it should be, again
> on the grounds that any child tables we may be interested in will get
> locked separately, so that we're not doing anything by recursing except
> expending extra cycles and perhaps increasing the chance of a deadlock.

Agreed.  "pg_dump --table=inheritance_parent" never queries inheritance
children, so it's nice not to lock them.

> A completely different approach we could consider is to weaken the
> permissions requirements for LOCK on a view, say "allow it if either
> the calling user or the view owner has the needed permission".  This
> seems generally pretty messy and so I don't much like it, but we
> should consider as many solutions as we can think of.

This is the best of what you've listed by a strong margin, and I don't know of
better options you've not listed.  +1 for it.  Does it work for you?  I think
the mess arises from LOCK TABLE serving "get locks sufficient for $ACTIONS" as
a family of use cases.  For views only, different $ACTIONS want different
behavior.  $ACTIONS==SELECT wants today's behavior; pg_get_viewdef() wants
shallower recursion and caller permissions; DROP VIEW wants no recursion.

> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/16703-e348f58aab3cf6cc%40postgresql.org

[2] For example, pg_get_viewdef('pg_user') locks pg_shadow, but "LOCK TABLE
pg_user" additionally locks pg_authid and pg_db_role_setting.