Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2020-10-05 11:20:20 +0200, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
> Does anyone actually use Postgres with ARM based low performance
> hardware and only 256 MiB of RAM?
[...]
> Background:
>
> I have some server side backend exposing web services and storing data
> in Postgres. The stored data are telegrams from smart metering
> devices, lots of them, mostly small. The provided web services take
> care of generating reports etc. based on those telegrams.
[...]
> In the easiest case, the newly created device would only need to store
> some hundreds of telegrams per day in some known time window and
> forward those telegrams afterwards. In most cases it would be those of
> the same day only, but might be those of the last X few days as well
> in case of problems. In the long term, though, that device should be
> able to store telegrams for years and might generate reports on it's
> own as well.

Do you plan to move some of that reporting to the IoT devices? (Maybe
equip them with a display with a dashboard, or something like that)

Because for simply storing a few hundred records which are written and
read sequentially, an RDBMS of any kind seems overkill. I'd simply write
them to files.

        hp

Attachment