Re: Handling time series data with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Handling time series data with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Jayaram (jairamcbe@gmail.com) wrote:
> So, Do we need the timescaleDB as mandatory to handle time series data? Is
> there any way to handle hourly to days,months,yearly data with PGSQL alone
> without timescale addon?

Certainly there is and a lot of people do it- what isn't clear is what
it is you feel is missing from PG when it comes to handling time series
data..?  Generally speaking there's concerns about PG's ability to
handle lots of partitions (which comes from there being very large
amounts of data being stored), but v12 and v13 have made great
improvements in that area and it's not nearly an issue any longer (and
performs better in quite a few cases than extensions).

> Ours is a new project and we are unsure about whether we should have both
> timescaleDB and PGSQL or PGSQL alone is capable of handling this time
> series data by tuning the right indexes.etc..

Partitioning and index tuning in PG (look at using BRIN if you haven't
already...) is important when you get to larger data volumes.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment