Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 01:36:44AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> However, again, the SCRAM
>> implementation would already appear to fail that requirement because it
>> uses a custom HMAC implementation, and HMAC is listed in FIPS 140-2 as a
>> covered algorithm.
>
> Ugh.  But is there any available FIPS-approved library code that could be
> used instead?

That's a good point, and I think that this falls down to use OpenSSL's
HMAC_* interface for this job when building with OpenSSL:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.1/man3/HMAC.html

Worth noting that these have been deprecated in 3.0.0 as per the
rather-recent commit dbde472, where they recommend the use of
EVP_MAC_*() instead.
--
Michael

Attachment