Re: Allow ERROR from heap_prepare_freeze_tuple to be downgraded to WARNING - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Allow ERROR from heap_prepare_freeze_tuple to be downgraded to WARNING
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Sep-14, Andres Freund wrote:

> It seems pretty dangerous to me. What exactly are you going to put into
> xmin/xmax here? And how would anything you put into the first tuple not
> break index lookups? There's no such thing as a frozen xmax (so far), so
> what are you going to put in there? A random different xid?
> FrozenTransactionId? HEAP_XMAX_INVALID?
>
> This whole approach just seems likely to exascerbate corruption while
> also making it impossible to debug. That's ok enough if it's an explicit
> user action, but doing it based on a config variable setting seems
> absurdly dangerous to me.

FWIW I agree with Andres' stance on this.  The current system is *very*
complicated and bugs are obscure already.  If we hide them, what we'll
be getting is a system where data can become corrupted for no apparent
reason.