Re: Questionable ping logic in LogicalRepApplyLoop - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Questionable ping logic in LogicalRepApplyLoop
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Sep-04, Tom Lane wrote:

> While playing around with clang's scan-build I noticed this warning:
>
> worker.c:2281:7: warning: Value stored to 'ping_sent' is never read
>                                                 ping_sent = true;
>                                                 ^           ~~~~
>
> At first I thought it was a harmless unnecessary update, but looking
> closer I wonder whether it isn't telling us there is a logic bug here.
> Specifically, I wonder why the "ping_sent" variable is local to the
> loop starting at line 2084, rather than having the same lifespan as
> "last_recv_timestamp".  Do we really want to forget that we sent a
> ping anytime we have to wait for more data?

Ah ... maybe this bug is the reason why the bug fixed by 470687b4a5bb
did not affect logical replication.

> In short, we could remove the ping_sent variable entirely without
> changing this code's behavior.  I'm not 100% sure what semantics
> it's trying to achieve, but I don't think it's achieving them.

I imagine that moving the variable one block-scope outwards (together
with last_recv_timestamp) is what was intended.

... oh look!  commit 3f60f690fac1 moved last_recv_timestamp without
realizing that ping_sent had to get the same treatment.