Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Is it possible to set end-of-data marker for COPY statement.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep  1, 2020 at 06:14:45AM +0000, Junfeng Yang wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>
> As described in the doc https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-copy.html,
> the TEXT format recognizes
> backslash-period (\.) as end-of-data marker.
>
> The example below will raise an error for the line contains `\.`.
>
> CREATE TABLE test (
> id int,
> name text,
> dep text
> )
>
> Data in file "/tmp/data".
>
> 122,as\.d,adad
> 133,sa dad,adadad
>
> Then execute
>
> copy test from '/tmp/data' DELIMITER ',';
>
> An end-of-copy marker corrupt error will be raised.
>
> This requires users to escape the end-of-data marker manually in their data.
> Why we don't have a mechanism to define other characters as end-of-data marker?
> Or there are other ways to avoid escape the end-of-data in data?

So, you are using comma as the delimiter, but have \. (backslash-period)
as a data value.  You need to double-up backslashes in your input data,
no matter what is after the backslash.  You just happen to hit backslash
period, but other things like \N could cause problems --- literal
backslashes have to be doubled.