Re: doc examples for pghandler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: doc examples for pghandler
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 01:01:10PM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> Ah, right.  For the moment I've added some empty conditionals for
> trigger and event trigger handling.
>
> I've created a new entry in the commitfest app. [1]  I'll keep at it. :)

Thanks for the patch.  I have reviewed and reworked it as the
attached.  Some comments below.

+PGFILEDESC = "PL/Sample - procedural language"
+
+REGRESS = create_pl create_func select_func
+
+EXTENSION = plsample
+EXTVERSION = 0.1

This makefile has a couple of mistakes, and can be simplified a lot:
- make check does not work, as you forgot a PGXS part.
- MODULES can just be used as there is only one file (forgot WIN32RES
in OBJS for example)
- DATA does not need the .control file.

.gitignore was missing.

We could just use 1.0 instead of 0.1 for the version number.  That's
not a big deal one way or another, but 1.0 is more consistent with the
other modules.

plsample--1.0.sql should complain if attempting to load the file from
psql.  Also I have cleaned up the README.

Not sure that there is a point in having three different files for the
regression tests.  create_pl.sql is actually not necessary as you
can do the same with CREATE EXTENSION.

The header list of plsample.c was inconsistent with the style used
normally in modules, and I have extended a bit the handler function so
as we return a result only if the return type of the procedure is text
for the source text of the function, tweaked the results a bit, etc.
There was a family of small issues, like using ALLOCSET_SMALL_SIZES
for the context creation.  We could of course expand the sample
handler more in the future to check for pseudotype results, have a
validator, but that could happen later, if necessary.
--
Michael

Attachment