Re: pgsql: Remove reset of testtablespace from pg_regress on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove reset of testtablespace from pg_regress on Windows
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 07:28:02PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> This patch has carefully removed the ability to run the regression tests
> as a Windows administrative user, as I just discovered. This was the
> whole point of commit ce5d3424d6.
>
> I assume the testing referred to above was not as a privileged user. I
> think this should be reverted.

Thanks Andrew.  This was discussed on the original thread and what I
wanted to do a rvert if you look at its newest history:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200623014036.GF50978@paquier.xyz
And then, the thread just stalled..  So I was not sure if something
was actually wanted or not.

Now, I don't think that just a simple revert is the best answer we can
provide.  Just look at this comment in pg_regress.c that does not give
a hint that we actually should not remove this code:
-    * On Windows only, clean out the test tablespace dir, or create it if it
-    * doesn't exist.  On other platforms we expect the Makefile to take care
-    * of that.  (We don't migrate that functionality in here because it'd be
-    * harder to cope with platform-specific issues such as SELinux.)
-    *
-    * XXX it would be better if pg_regress.c had nothing at all to do with
-    * testtablespace, and this were handled by a .BAT file or similar on
-    * Windows.  See pgsql-hackers discussion of 2008-01-18.

So instead I would like to propose the attached, reworking this
comment as follows (basically a revert, except for this comment):
+   /*
+    * On Windows only, clean out the test tablespace dir, or create it if it
+    * doesn't exist so as it is possible to run the regression tests as a
+    * Windows administrative user account with the restricted token obtained
+    * when starting pg_regress.  On other platforms we expect the Makefile
+    * to take care of that.
+    */

What do you think?
--