Re: INDEX with optional storage parameter value - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: INDEX with optional storage parameter value
Date
Re: INDEX with optional storage parameter value
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 01:13:52PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createindex.html
>
> Hello!
> I noticed an slight inaccuracy in the documentation for CREATE INDEX and
> ALTER INDEX:
>
> CREATE INDEX ... [ WITH ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) ]
> ALTER INDEX [ IF EXISTS ] name SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] )
>
> In indices, as in tables, you can omit the вoolean value for a parameter.
> For example:
>
> CREATE INDEX ON public.testtable USING GIN (c1) WITH (fastupdate);
> ALTER INDEX testtable_c1_idx SET (fastupdate);
>
> It might be more correct to use the construct from CREATE TABLE:
>
> storage_parameter [= value] [, ... ]

Yes, I see that:

    CREATE TABLE testtable (c1 JSONB);
    CREATE INDEX ON public.testtable USING GIN (c1) WITH (fastupdate = true);
    CREATE INDEX ON public.testtable USING GIN (c1) WITH (fastupdate = false);
    CREATE INDEX ON public.testtable USING GIN (c1) WITH (fastupdate);
    \d testtable
                Table "public.testtable"
     Column | Type  | Collation | Nullable | Default
     c1     | jsonb |           |          |
        "testtable_c1_idx" gin (c1) WITH (fastupdate='true')
        "testtable_c1_idx1" gin (c1) WITH (fastupdate='false')
        "testtable_c1_idx2" gin (c1) WITH (fastupdate='true')

I found a few more places that also didn't properly document this;
patch attached.

Attachment