Re: PostgreSQL 12.3 slow index scan chosen - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12.3 slow index scan chosen
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 12.3 slow index scan chosen  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
On 2020-Jun-20, Tom Lane wrote:

> I wrote:
> > ... oh, now I see: apparently, your filter condition is such that *no*
> > rows of the objectcustomfieldvalues table get past the filter:
> >
> >               ->  Index Scan using objectcustomfieldvalues3 on objectcustomfieldvalues objectcustomfieldvalues_1
(cost=0.56..807603.40rows=915 width=4) (actual time=21165.441..21165.441 rows=0 loops=1)

> >                      Filter: ((disabled = 0) AND ((largecontent ~~* '%958575%'::text) OR ((content)::text ~~*
'%958575%'::text)))
> >                      Rows Removed by Filter: 19030904

> You said you'd increased the stats target for
> objectcustomfieldvalues.objectid, but maybe the real problem is needing
> to increase the targets for content and largecontent, in hopes of driving
> down the estimate for how many rows will pass this filter condition.

... but those on content and largecontent are unanchored conditions --
are we still able to do any cardinality analysis using those?  I thought
not.  Maybe a trigram search would help?  See contrib/pg_trgm -- as far
as I remember that module is able to work with LIKE conditions.