Re: Practical usage of large objects. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Practical usage of large objects.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 01:55:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> writes:
>> As you know, PostgreSQL has a large objects facility [1]. I'm curious
>> are there real systems which are use this feature?
>
> We get questions about it regularly, so yeah people use it.

I recall that some applications where I work make use of it for some
rather large log-like data.  At the end of the day, it really boils
down to if you wish to store blobs of data which are larger than 1GB,
the limit for toasted fields, as LOs can be up to 4TB.  Also, updating
or reading a LO can be much cheaper than a toasted field, as the
latter would update/read the value as a whole.
--
Michael

Attachment