Re: Raw device on PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Raw device on PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Benjamin Schaller (benjamin.schaller@s2018.tu-chemnitz.de) wrote:
> for an university project I'm currently doing some research on PostgreSQL. I
> was wondering if hypothetically it would be possible to implement a raw
> device system to PostgreSQL. I know that the disadvantages would probably be
> higher than the advantages compared to working with the file system. Just
> hypothetically: Would it be possible to change the source code of PostgreSQL
> so a raw device system could be implemented, or would that cause a chain
> reaction so that basically one would have to rewrite almost the entire code,
> because too many elements of PostgreSQL rely on the file system?

yes, it'd be possible, no, you wouldn't have to rewrite all of PG.
Instead, if you want it to be performant at all, you'd have to write
lots of new code to do all the things the filesystem and kernel do for
us today.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment