Re: how to slow down parts of Pg - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: how to slow down parts of Pg
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2020-04-21 21:16:57 +0000, Kevin Brannen wrote:
> From: Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>
> > drbdsetup allows you to control the sync rates.
>
> I was hoping not to have to do that, but the more I think about this I'm
> realizing that it won't hurt because the network cap is effectively limiting me
> anyway. :)

Alternatively you might consider traffic shaping. DRBD can only set a
fixed limit (because it knows only about its own traffic). Traffic
shaping can adjust the limit depending on other traffic (it can also
prioritize traffic, etc.). However, to be effective, it needs to run on
a router as close to the bottleneck as possible - typically that means
either the border router or the firewall. So it is something the
customer's network guy should set up.

        hp

Attachment