Re: DETACH PARTITION and FOR EACH ROW triggers on partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: DETACH PARTITION and FOR EACH ROW triggers on partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 07:03:30PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2020-Apr-20, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 06:35:44PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>
> > > Also, how about, for consistency, making the parent table labeling of
> > > the trigger look similar to that for the foreign constraint, so
> > > Triggers:
> > >     TABLE "f1" TRIGGER "trig" BEFORE INSERT ON f11 FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION trigfunc()
> >
> > I'll leave that for committer to decide.
>
> Pushed.  Many thanks for this!

Thanks for polishing it.

I was just about to convince myself of the merits of doing it Amit's way :)

I noticed a few issues:

 - should put \n's around Amit's subquery to make psql -E look pretty;
 - maybe should quote the TABLE, like \"%s\" ?

#3 is that *if* we did it Amit's way, I *think* maybe we should show the
parent's triggerdef, not the childs.
It seems strange to me to say "TABLE trigpart .* INSERT ON trigpart3"

-    TABLE "trigpart" TRIGGER trg1 AFTER INSERT ON trigpart3 FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION trigger_nothing()
+    TABLE "trigpart" TRIGGER trg1 AFTER INSERT ON trigpart FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION trigger_nothing()

--
Justin

Attachment