Re: Documentation issue: Default value of temp_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Documentation issue: Default value of temp_buffers
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hello,

On 2020-Apr-20, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/runtime-config-resource.html says:
>
> ------snip------
> temp_buffers (integer):
> Sets the maximum number of temporary buffers used by each database session
> [...] The default is eight megabytes (8MB).
>
> Are we setting the maximum number of buffers or the maximum total size of
> the buffers?

Yeah, it's ambiguous. If you give it without units, it's the number of
buffers; otherwise it's the size.  The docs were updated in version 12
to include this phrase: "If this value is specified without units, it is
taken as blocks, that is BLCKSZ bytes, typically 8kB."