Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
List pgsql-hackers
I think attached v41nm is ready for commit.  Would anyone like to vote against
back-patching this?  It's hard to justify lack of back-patch for a data-loss
bug, but this is atypically invasive.  (I'm repeating the question, since some
folks missed my 2020-02-18 question.)  Otherwise, I'll push this on Saturday.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 05:20:27PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Sat, 21 Mar 2020 15:49:20 -0700, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote in
> > The proximate cause is the RelFileNodeSkippingWAL() call that we added to
> > MarkBufferDirtyHint().  MarkBufferDirtyHint() runs in parallel workers, but
> > parallel workers have zeroes for pendingSyncHash and rd_*Subid.

> > Kyotaro, can you look through the affected code and propose a strategy for
> > good coexistence of parallel query with the WAL skipping mechanism?
>
> Bi-directional communication between leader and workers is too-much.
> It wouldn't be acceptable to inhibit the problematic operations on
> workers such like heap-prune or btree pin removal.  If we do pending
> syncs just before worker start, it won't fix the issue.
>
> The attached patch passes a list of pending-sync relfilenodes at
> worker start.

If you were to issue pending syncs and also cease skipping WAL for affected
relations, that would fix the issue.  Your design is better, though.  I made
two notable changes:

- The patch was issuing syncs or FPIs every time a parallel worker exited.  I
  changed it to skip most of smgrDoPendingSyncs() in parallel workers, like
  AtEOXact_RelationMap() does.

- PARALLEL_KEY_PENDING_SYNCS is most similar to PARALLEL_KEY_REINDEX_STATE and
  PARALLEL_KEY_COMBO_CID.  parallel.c, not execParallel.c, owns those.  I
  moved PARALLEL_KEY_PENDING_SYNCS to parallel.c, which also called for style
  changes in the associated storage.c functions.

Since pendingSyncHash is always NULL under XLogIsNeeded(), I also removed some
XLogIsNeeded() tests that immediately preceded !pendingSyncHash tests.

Attachment