Re: backup manifests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: backup manifests
Date
Re: backup manifests  (David Steele <david@pgmasters.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-03-27 16:57:46 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I really don't know what to say to this.  WAL is absolutely critical to
> a backup being valid.  pgBackRest doesn't have a way to *just* validate
> a backup today, unfortunately, but we're planning to support it in the
> future and we will absolutely include in that validation checking all of
> the WAL that's part of the backup.

Could you please address the fact that just about everybody uses base
backups + later WAL to have a short data loss window? Integrating the
WAL files necessary to make the base backup consistent doesn't achieve
much if we can't verify the WAL files afterwards. And fairly obviously
pg_basebackup can't do much about WAL created after its invocation.

Given that we need something separate to address that "verification
hole", I don't see why it's useful to have a special case solution (or
rather multiple ones, for stream and fetch) inside pg_basebackup.

Greetings,

Andres Freund