Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly
Date
Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Another issue is this:
> > +VACUUM ( FULL [, ...] ) [ TABLESPACE <replaceable class="parameter">new_tablespace</replaceable> ] [ <replaceable
class="parameter">table_and_columns</replaceable>[, ...] ]

> As you mentioned in your v1 patch, in the other cases, "tablespace
> [tablespace]" is added at the end of the command rather than in the middle.  I
> wasn't able to make that work, maybe because "tablespace" isn't a fully
> reserved word (?).  I didn't try with "SET TABLESPACE", although I understand
> it'd be better without "SET".

I think we should use the parenthesized syntax for vacuum - it seems clear in
hindsight.

Possibly REINDEX should use that, too, instead of adding OptTablespace at the
end.  I'm not sure.

CLUSTER doesn't support parenthesized syntax, but .. maybe it should?

Also, perhaps VAC FULL (and CLUSTER, if it grows parenthesized syntax), should
support something like this:

USING INDEX TABLESPACE name

I guess I would prefer just "index tablespace", without "using":

--
Justin