"Cannot" vs "could not" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject "Cannot" vs "could not"
Date
List pgsql-docs
We use "cannot" and "could not" quite often in source code and error
messages:

    $ grep .. 'cannot' | wc -l
    13180

    $ grep ... 'could not' | wc -l
    12149

I noticed it by looking for errors about parsing in our /bin tools:

    src/pl/plperl/ppport.h:      die "cannot parse version '$ver'\n";
    src/pl/plperl/ppport.h:      die "cannot parse version '$ver'\n";
    src/bin/pg_upgrade/server.c: pg_fatal("could not parse version file \"%s\"\n", cluster->pgdata);

This web page explains the difference well, i.e., "cannot" is present
tens, "could not" is past tense:

    https://www.englishforums.com/English/CannotVsCouldNot/bhprvk/post.htm

Is there any sense that we should have more consistency in our message
wording?