Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (andpg_ls_*) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (andpg_ls_*)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
@cfbot: rebased onto 085b6b6679e73b9b386f209b4d625c7bc60597c0

The merge conflict presents another opportunity to solicit comments on the new
approach.  Rather than making "recurse into tmpdir" the end goal:

  - add a function to show metadata of an arbitrary dir;
  - add isdir arguments to pg_ls_* functions (including pg_ls_tmpdir but not
    pg_ls_dir).
  - maybe add pg_ls_dir_recurse, which satisfies the original need;
  - retire pg_ls_dir (does this work with tuplestore?)
  - profit

The alternative seems to be to go back to Alvaro's earlier proposal:
 - not only add "isdir", but also recurse;

I think I would insist on adding a general function to recurse into any dir.
And *optionally* change ps_ls_* to recurse (either by accepting an argument, or
by making that a separate patch to debate).  tuplestore is certainly better
than keeping a stack/List of DIRs for this.

Attachment