Re: btree index maximum row size - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: btree index maximum row size
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Feb  3, 2020 at 07:09:19PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/limits.html
>
> Appendix K (PostgreSQL Limits) - doesn't mention the (btree) index row size
> limits. I think that it should.

Sorry for the delay in replying.  We do get questions about the btree
length limit occasionally, but practically the length limit usually
isn't a problem.  Unless you need ordered data, a hash index is a better
choice for long values than btree because the hashes are much shorter.
Expression indexes can also help.

What is your use-case for indexing very long values?