Re: color by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: color by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 01:00:44PM +0100, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
> - The new entry in the documentation, specially as the PG_COLORS parameter
> seems to be currently undocumented. The programs that can use PG_COLOR
> would benefit from getting a link to it.

The actual problem here is that we don't have an actual centralized
place where we could put that stuff.  And anything able to use this
option is basically anything using src/common/logging.c.

Regarding PG_COLORS, the commit message of cc8d415 mentions it, but we
have no actual example of how to use it, and the original thread has
zero reference to it:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/6a609b43-4f57-7348-6480-bd022f924310@2ndquadrant.com

And in fact, it took me a while to figure out that using it is a mix
of three keywords ("error", "warning" or "locus") separated by colons
which need to have an equal sign to the color defined.  Here is for
example how to make the locus show up in yellow with errors in blue:
export PG_COLORS='error=01;34:locus=01;33'

Having to dig into the code to find out that stuff is not a good user
experience.  And I found out about that only because I worked on a
patch touching this area yesterday.
--
Michael

Attachment