Re: trouble making PG use my Perl - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Lembark
Subject Re: trouble making PG use my Perl
Date
List pgsql-general
> I can make Pg come up, initdb, that sort of stuff just fine. But we
> also use the Perl extension and we have references to Perl modules
> that are in *our* Perl and not the system one. Yes, we compile our
> own Perl like we provide our own Pg because Centos uses much older
> versions.
>
> The issue is that I've not been able to make Pg use our Perl
> (in /opt/perl) instead of the system one (in /usr). I've tried
> changing the env-vars in multiple places, the most obvious being
> the /etc/init.d script, but none of that helps. When we compiled our
> own Pg, I could set this with "export PERL=/opt/perl/bin/perl" before
> the "configure --with-perl" command. Setting PERL in the init.d file
> doesn't help either.

If you use the centos pre-compiled glob then you'll get their
pre-compiled paths to their pre-compiled Perl which, among
other things, is compiled with all optimization turned off,
with 5.00503 compatibility turned *on*, and a host of other
pure idiocies that make their perl unsuitable for human use.

Simplest fix is probably rolling your own: PG's build cycle
is quite manageable, as is Perl's, and you'll get something
that is reasonably optimized for your platform and use.

--
Steven Lembark                                        3646 Flora Place
Workhorse Computing                                St. Louis, MO 63110